Sunday, April 11, 2010

Q: I've never done yoga, but I see your Fitness Plan includes one day a week of it. What is yoga and why should I do it?


A: I love yoga! While it may seem different or intimidating if you've never done it before, it really shouldn't.

Yoga, which originated in India, is an ancient philosophy involving the unity of mind, body, and spirit. It incorporates an approach to achieving enlightenment through specific breathing exercises, meditation, and physical postures called asanas, also known as yoga poses. I've included several asanas in my Fitness Plan because they stretch and strengthen your muscles, improve circulation, and energize your entire body. Plus, they're incredibly relaxing!

A few to start off with are Child's Pose, a pose that stretches the back and is a relaxing, cool down move after a workout or hard day and Cobra Stretch, a pose that stretches your midsection and tones your buttocks and lower back. Trust me, once you try it, you'll be glad you added yoga, with all its benefits, to your workouts!

Morning Stretch with Denise Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment